Seattle and Puget Sound

8-15 We left Port Angeles under overcast skies but no fog at 8:30am headed for Port Ludlow a quiet anchorage on the way to Seattle. We rounded Point Wilson, known for whirlpools and heavy currents at full ebb(a 2.5kt current against us). you could see the current rips but because there was no wind we didn't have any steerage difficulties. We saw our first group of Orcas in the distance. There is sooo much boat traffic compared to other cruising grounds especially off Port Townsend. If we had had the fog like on our arrival in Port Angeles, I don't see how I would have sorted out all the radar targets. The ferries and other AIS targets were no problem but not the small fish and crab boats that were out in force. We had to run a slalom course through the crab pot floats in the outer bay at Port Ludlow but anchored outside the marina in a soft mud bottom.

Port Ludlow marina

same pic in the fog!

The next day was overcast again and in the low 60's but the sun came out in the afternoon. The main attraction to Port Ludlow is the resort and marina. There is not much of a town. The area is heavily forested in pines and cedars with homes and condo's interspersed. There are hiking paths around the homes with wild blackberries galore. On our walk around the area we saw a group of 5 otters leave the water and scamper up the bank to hide under a outcroping of juniper bushes.

8-18 We moved from Port Ludlow to Elliot Bay Marina near downtown Seattle. We purchased our Orca senior citizen bus passes for $3.00 and can now ride any bus for $.75. We traveled all over the Seattle area visiting various stores, updating my winter clothing and getting some waterproof shoes. We also purchased "Gumby suits" which are full immersion suits and had the outboard moter repaired. Pikes Place Market was crowded as usual and had expanded from the last time I was in Seattle. The smoked fish was wonderful!

Food especially in the downtown area was expensive. Grocery prices are also much higher than Mexico! We visited the Seattle Aquarium and spent at least an hour watching the sea and river otters the main difference seemed to be that sea otters swim on their backs, river otters swim on their stomaches and are smaller and sleeker. At the dock in Seattle, where we expected to see sea otters, we saw groups of river otters swimming between the slips.

Monday 9-1-14

We departed Seattle to travel southwest to Gig Harbor, a name I recognized from somewhere but has a Costco. The day was clear with full sunshine in the afternoon. We were hoping that most of the Labor Day crowd would have departed by noon but even though the anchorage seemed crowded, we found a spot. We took an afternoon 2-3 mile walk to the grocery store to restock our fresh produce and cabbed back. Today is overcast with rain threatening but should clear tomorrow.

Mount Rainier

We next visited the town of Poulsbo at the end of a quiet inlet in southern Puget Sound.Lots of room to anchor in quiet water. The town was originally Norwegian known for its food and bakery. Today it is a tourist destination with many microbreweries, galleries, antique stores and restaurants. We had a great meal at the Tapas and Paella bar. Unfortunately, the red tide was heavy and the waters full of jelly fish. The local stand up paddleboarders were not deterred by 60degree smelly water loaded with jellyfish!

Thats a lot of jelly fish!

In 3 days, we were off to Port Townsend where we anchored in Kilisut Harbor, a protected anchorage opposite the town of Port Townsend for 1 nite and had a delightful dinner with Phil and Katie Habegger, who we had met in Tenacatita, Mexico.


Live every day to the fullest